What does College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving’s momentum look like? Here’s a timeline.
2003: Summer job
College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving was born in the summer of 2003, when Nick Friedman and his best friend Omar Soliman hauled junk using an old cargo van while still attending college. That summer, they did the hard labor themselves and made $8,000. It was their first taste of entrepreneurship.
2004: Business plan wins the Leigh Rothschild Entrepreneurship Competition
After working the summer of 2003 in the business, Soliman returned to the University of Miami to complete his senior year. He then entered the Leigh Rothschild Entrepreneurship Competition in Miami, a competition that showcased the best business plan ideas. The business plan that he and Friedman wrote for College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving won first place in the competition and an award of $10,000.
2005: Setting up shop
After graduating from college, Soliman and Friedman both took corporate jobs, only to soon realize that they were better suited to entrepreneurship. They opened in Washington, D.C., and expanded the company into a full-scale operation. In its first two years, College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving hauled away more than 4,000 tons of junk, surpassing $1.2 million in revenue.
2008: College Hunks Moving Themselves
Once the system proved successful locally, Soliman and Friedman expanded to a national franchise, becoming the youngest franchisors in America at the time. They relocated their national headquarters to Tampa, Florida, to open a call center that would support their franchise owners.
Also in 2008:
- The company begins franchising and quickly adds its first 10 franchise locations.
- College Hunks adds moving to its repertoire.
- The company achieves its first $1,000,000 in revenue.
2009: Growth and Recognition
- College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving adds three more franchisees to grow to 13 locations.
- College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving was named one of Inc. Magazine’s 500 Fastest Growing Companies, as well as being ranked #30 on Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top 50 New Franchises.
- Soliman and Friedman appear on the very first episode of ABC’s Shark Tank.
2010: More Media
- College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving grows to 25 franchise locations.
- Soliman and Friedman appear on Bravo’s Millionaire Matchmaker.
- Soliman and Friedman publish their book, Effortless Entrepreneur: Work Smart, Play Hard, Make Millions.
2012: Satisfied franchisees
System wide average unit income reaches $310,211.86.
- The company achieves its first $10,000,000 in revenue.
- The company earns Franchise Business Review’s Top 50 Franchisee Satisfaction Award and Inc. Magazine’s Hire Power Award.
2013: Making the grade
- College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving grows to 35 franchise locations.
- College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving is named one of Franchise Magazine’s Franchise 500 for the first time.
- Friedman is featured on HGTV’s House Hunters.
2015: Blue Collar Millionaires
College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving is featured on the CNBC docu-series Blue Collar Millionaires, which profiles big personalities who’ve gotten rich by getting their hands dirty.
The segment highlights all the hard work that went into building the College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving brand, but it also looks at what they do in their downtime.
2016: Going international
- College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving reaches 95 franchise locations.
- The company opens its first international location in Edmonton, Canada.